The World Heralds Obama!
Obama’s victory is an inspiration for us. That which appeared impossible has become possible.
- Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko
The American people have proven their grandness and have headed out on the dawn of a new day and a new world.
- Israeli Knesset/President of Arab Nationalist Party Ahmed Tibi
This is a moment that will live in history as long as history books are written.
- British Prime Minister Gordon Brown
Americans have expressed with force their faith in progress and the future. Obama’s victory has raised enormous hope in France, in Europe and beyond.
- French President Nicolas Sarkozy
Your victory has demonstrated that no person anywhere in the world should not dare to dream of wanting to change the world for a better place.
- Nelson Mandela
Obama’s victory marks a new chapter in the remarkable history of the United States.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Raza Gilani.
Senator Obama’s message of hope is not just for America’s future, it is also a message of hope for the world as well.
- Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd
This will be for the benefit of Chinese and American people, and people around the world.
- China President Hu Jintao
The United States has given a lesson in maturity and a lesson in democracy.
- President of Mali Amadou Toure
Obama will open a new page in the relations between the Arab world and Israel, and help bring stability to the region.
- Israeli Ret. Brigadier General Shaul Arieli
The U.S. has just won the war on terror. Given Obama’s name, his background, the doubts about his religion, Americans still voted for him and this proved that America is a democracy. People here are starting to believe in the U.S. again.
- Saudi journalist Samir Saadi
I have never experienced anything like this during a presidential election. This is a lesson in democracy, a special moment which could give a positive impulse to the tense relations between countries around the world.
- Member of Dutch Parliament Sybrand van Haersma Buma
Everyone should cherish this because it is likely that it will lead to improvements to race relations all over the world.
- Indonesian MUI General Secretary Muhammad Nidzom Hidayatullah
The political system in Israel can look with astonishment and jealousy at democracy in the United States. Obama’s victory gives hope to billions in the world, as well as in Israel.
- Former Israeli Internal Affairs Minister Ophir Pines-Paz
For the first time I feel the phrase, ‘I hereby declare that all men are created equal,’ from the U.S. Declaration of Independence, really came to life for me today.
- Saudi Arabian architect Mamdouh al-Sobaihi
America has once again become a good model to emulate.
- Russian novelist Viktor Yerofeyev
United States can go back to being admired as the country of dreams.
- Japanese photographer Terumi Hino
What an inspiration. He is the first truly global U.S. president the world has ever had.
- Thai student Pracha Kanjananont
It is almost impossible to overstate the impact of this vote on the rest of the world. By electing Obama, the United States looks open, diversity-embracing, humble and intelligent. This vote is the best thing that could have happened to restore American influence.
- Japanese internet entrepreneur Joichi Ito
has again proven itself an example to world democracies.
- Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert
Barack Obama’s remarkable personal story — allied to his eloquence and his huge political talents — sends a powerful message of hope to America’s friends across the world.
- Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen